Hi, Ray, Mary Ann,

BP, I used to work out in a martial arts school where we would
actually practice falling.  I would never suggest that you do the
same, but there are some concepts that might raise the level of your
falling 'artistry'.  Poetry in motion....

1. Train yourself to be constantly aware of your balance.  Sensei
taught us that our hara, or spirit (in the old way) is actually
located approx. 2 inches below the navel.  Modern equivalent: center
of gravity.  And as you study yourself, you find this is accurate.
This lower back/abdomen/pelvic region is the core of your strength.
It is involved in all your movements.  It takes more stress than any
other, and if your hara is out of line, you are off balance.  Tai Chi
is a very useful activity.  With it's gentle, rocking motions, you
really get in touch with your center of gravity.

2. Well, I'm not about to tell you to start practicing your falling.
Without training and practice, it's very difficult to get good at
falling.  For any readers who are early into their PD 'career', you
may still be strong and flexible enough to ask a local Aikido
instructor for some help.  With all the usual disclaimers, I recommend
that you do this.

3. So if you can't become an Aikido expert, protect yourself.  If you
must go out and do your own shopping, or if you are determined to get
out and exercise, get some elbow pads, knee pads, and riding gloves.
Yes, one more nuisance to add to your day, but some are easy to put
on, using velcro.  Taking the hit on a protected elbow or palm could
help you avoid a major pain in the butt!

4. Don't forget to keep up on your calcium intake.  You can further
protect yourself by eating foods that promote bone and cartilage
strength.

Sort of a dubious distinction, to be an educated and accomplished
'faller'.  But the point is to be able to get up after you fall down.

Hope these concepts are useful.

Enjoy!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]