Dear Katie and Russ,

In regard to your message about a possible link between Parkinson's and
peripheral neuropathy, I just want to reply that I was diagnosed with both
peripheral neuropathy (a mild case) and Parkinson's.  I too take Sinemet and it helps
with my symptoms including the balance problems and gait.  I'm not so sure
about it relieving the nerve problems.  I deal with a lot of lower back pain,
sciatic nerve pain and general aching in all my muscles.  I have very little
tremor.

  A couple years before my diagnosis of Parkinson's I was experiencing severe
burning in the leg muscles and fatigue after moderate physical activity.  It
felt like a tremendous lactic acid build up.  After what would have been a
normal time spent in the yard doing planting, raking, whatever, I would then have
extreme burning in my leg muscles.  At this time I began to think that I had
fibromyalgia.  I saw a neurologist who ruled that out.  Later I had the tests
done that diagnosed the peripheral neuropathy.

I don't know how common it is to have these two conditions together.  My
neurologist prescribed "Neurontin" to help with the nerve/muscle pain.  I took it
for awhile but eventually decided to quit taking it.  I was hearing too many
negative reports about it here on the web.  I now take "Naproxen" for the pain
and I think it helps.  I believe it has the same active ingredient in it as
does "Aleve".

I hope that this helps some and good luck with your visit to your new
neurologist.

Dee