Carrie:
You bring up an interesting point. I don't believe what Ned said - that
faith is believing in something you know isn't true. Einstein is widely
considered one of the most brilliant scientists of all time, and he
doesn't ascribe to that belief either. Here are some of the things he
wrote regarding faith and science:

"Scientists were rated as great heretics by the church, but they were
truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the
universe."

" ...For science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be, and
outside of its domain value judgments of all kinds remain necessary.
Religion, on the other hand, deals only with evaluations of human
thought and action: it cannot justifiably speak of facts and
relationships between facts."

" ...But science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued
with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of
feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion. To this there
also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for
the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason.
I cannot conceive of a genuine scientist without that profound faith.
The situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is
lame, religion without science is blind."

"...Well, I do not think that it is necessarily the case that science
and religion are natural opposites. In fact, I think that there is a
very close connection between the two. Further, I think that science
without religion is lame and, conversely, that religion without science
is blind. Both are important and should work hand-in-hand. It seems to
mc that whoever doesn't wonder about the truth in religion and in
science might as well be dead."

You see - everything can work together. :)

Wendy