Maybe they felt that it would be 'using' (?) the famous religious person
during a sacred time in his time.    His 'job' on earth wasn't to focus
on parkinsons, but to focus on people and use religion to bring them
together a tiny bit more no matter what the person religious preference
was.  I found it amazing at his age with a movement disorder disease,
how well he did for the condition he was in internally.

nancy m

David Thurston wrote:

> The best-known, most-loved face in the world is laid to rest in Rome.
> I watch the three-hour requiem mass on television – CNN International
> and BBC World. Very moving, though I am not a Catholic nor even a
> Christian. Plenty of talk of suffering, not a single mention of the
> word Parkinson's.
>
> I am astounded. Is there something seriously lacking in our briefing
> the media, at all levels?
>
> How can we ever hope to raise awareness of our affliction when it
> doesn't even get a mention when the Pope is buried?

The media focused on his illness more when he was alive. It was apparent
he was not a normal elderly person.   We wouldn't use him to promote a
cause.