I don't know, I felt that the discussion of religion was pertinent to
the PD list, to an extent.  After all, those opposed to ESCR are
usually so on religious grounds.  From this follow all sorts of
questions, not only religious but constitutional.  These issues are
certainly of import to us PWP.  (Sample questions:  1) Is there a way
to guarantee the rights of the non-religious within the framework of a
religious society?  2) Is there an ethical way to produce the 'really
good' stem cells?  3) Just how viable is adult stem cell and other
alternatives?  4) What are the core concepts behind an anti-ESCR
stance?)  These are worthy of discussion, I think.  I've gained many
small insights which I think will help me as I lobby for the research
with my elected officials.

It's when the argument comes down to "Yes, there is a god," "No, there
isn't!" that it gets futile and aggravating.  Either that, or a
subtle, or not subtle, personal jibe, attack, or remark sends the
conversation over the edge of it's nicely cooking saute pan and into a
spreading grease fire.  At that point I'd rather see a rerun of Monty
Python's 'argument' sketch.

Anyway, as a musician/artsy type, I very much favor unrestricted
personal expression.  But I reiterate that I will be on my best
behavior (8=)) and try not to tick anybody off.

Enjoy!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]