The source of this article is Minnesota Trails: http://tinyurl.com/94tou

Pedaling with Parkinson's
Trike returns him to the trail.

By Dave Simpkins
Rolling Reporter

Eldon Olson and his wife Jan prepare to ride the Heartland Trail from Nevis
to Dorset. His EZ-3 Trike has enabled him to return to trail riding dispite
Parkinson's.

Hoigaards Sales Associate, Linda Lemke, worked with Olson in finding a
motor for his EZ-3 Trike.
Eldon Olson has enjoyed an active life.

He was an avid skier and biker for over 35 years.

Then he was struck with Parkinson's disease.

"I could hardly walk," said 73-year-old retired insurance agent from
Buffalo. "When I checked into the Mayo Clinic three years ago they saw
parkinson's in my face. The most important thing the doctors told me was to
remain as active. The less you use your legs, the less you will be able to
use your legs."

Olson and his wife, Jan, were at Hoigaards in St. Louis Park when he
noticed an EZ-3 Trike on display.

He gave it a test ride and discovered peddling the Trike was easier than
walking.

"He came in looking for furniture and left with a bike," said Hoigaards
Sales Associate Linda Lemke. "We asked him if he wanted to try it on the
LRT trail behind our store, he loved it. It was like a gift. He got his
freedom back."

Olson was concerned he would get tired on the Trike and not be able to
return. Lemke and Hoigaards back shop found a battery operated electric
motor that would fit in a basket between the rear wheels.

The motor and battery cost about $600 and run for 20 miles before needing
to be recharged in a standard outlet. The motor can drive the trike up to
23 mph.

Lemke said they have been several customers with physical limitations going
to recumbants.

"Recumbents reduce the balance issues because they are low to the ground,
so you can put your feet down. They are more comfortable because there
isn't the pressure on the hands and you're pushing off the backrest rather
than defying gravity."

Lemke also said recumbents are safer because people can look around and
they can't go over the handle bars.

She also noted recumbents use the large muscles of the legs more
efficiently. This is why Olson finds it easier peddle his recumbent than to
walk.

Olson has been riding his Trike on the paved city trails of Buffalo. The
third week of September he triked on the Heartland Trail between Nevis and
Dorset.

He pedaled the trike on his own until he came to a hill or tired. He then
pushed a lever on his handle bar and the motor took over. He can move up to
12 mph with the motor.

"It feels so good to be back on the Heartland Trail again," said Olson. "I
love this trail, the scenery, the town and besides it so easy to pedal."

Lemke said Hoigaards has outfitted customers limited by Multiple Scorousis,
strokes and even blindness.

A blind couple purchased two quadribents, which are two recumbents joined
together. They have their children steer and they peddle.

They have also outfitted recumbents with the gearing on one side of the
bike for stroke victims.

According to Lemke, recumbents are a way to make recreation more inclusive.

Olson agrees, "This trike is like a gift," said Olson. "It feels so good to
be out on the trails again, enjoying the outdoors. I love it,"