Estimates of the prevalence of these conditions vary significantly, but
it
is generally estimated that approximately 1.9 million people in the
U.S.
alone suffer from Parkinson's disease, while approximately 5 million
people
in the U.S. suffer from Essential Tremor. An independent market
research
firm estimates that the market for DBS for these specific indications
will
grow to approximately $180 million by 2008 and will continue to grow as
improvements in the procedure and stereotactic targeting are made.

"The neuromodulation market as a whole is expected to surpass the
billion-
dollar milestone this year, and promises to become a multi-billion
dollar,
multi-indication segment of the medical device industry...."

Yes indeed, let us remember that we are not only a political force but
also a market, and I believe that market forces trump
political-religious-ethical concerns nearly always. It's amazing how,
when it's clear big money is to be made, ethical qualms evaporate, for
better or for worse. I'd like to think that at least in regard to PD,
greed is our ally.

Kathleen