Russ Hunt wrote:

> My first response is, who needs a memory when we've got Google?
>
>> My memory--ha!--tells me that we once had a discussion on this
>> listserv about voice,  I'm not referring to the discussion of
>> authenticity/"real" writing, but more along the lines of "helping
>> students find their own voices"--or perhaps that was only one aspect
>> of the discussion.
>

> And I had no memory of that discussion at all.  But . . . if you go to
> the CASLL archive -- which is here:
>
> http://listserv.unb.ca/archives/casll.html
>
> -- and search for any messages with "voice" in the subject, voila,
> there's the discussion, _ten years_ ago. (What a memory, Coe! and
> translates Latin, too.)
>
> Doug Brent started the thread by asking this:
>
> ============
> Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 1995 10:07:24 MST
>   From: Doug Brent <[log in to unmask]>
>   Subject:      "Voice"
>
>   I'm trying to put my finger on some of the literature that's come
> out
>   since the 70's on authorial "voice."  In particular I'm interested
> in
>   specific material on how a writer manages voice in a text, what it
> means
>   to have an authentic voice etc.  A lot of this grows out of the
>   expressivist school, but the concentraion of "voice" as a root
> metaphor
>   then seems to me to go underground.  The metaphor shifts from voice
>   rhetorical situation, audience etc.  The emphasis on persona as
> "speaker"
>   gets a bit fuzzy.
>
>   Any suggestions on where the idea of writer as metaphorical
> "speaker"
>   crops up in later literature?
> ==================
> And it goes on from there. You can read it chronologically if you just
> scroll down to March 1995 on the main archive page.
>
> -- Russ
>
> Russell Hunt
> Department of English
> St. Thomas University
> http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/

>    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>                 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi Rick!  There is a nice exploration of voice and identity in moving
from one language to another in the whole section of Eva Karpinski's
book "Pens of Many Colours"  entitled "Self and Other:  Language"  I
particularly like Eva Hoffman's piece entitled "Lost in Translation"
where she talks about the voice that she adopts in writing in English
(including the topics she chooses to write about) as  an immigrant
learning English and abandoning her native language, Polish.  In
"Background Readings for the Bedford Handbook"Gloria Anzaldua's "How to
Tame a Wild Tongue" also explores voice in another language.  Hope this
helps,  and I look forward to your talk, Rick!  Theresa Hyland,