I have read the postings over the past couple of weeks while I have cogitated on
my first Inkshed experience. I must agree with everyone that Jane and company's
organizational work provided a superb invisible structure and support for the
conference. I can't believe that we had the only four sunny days they've had in
the Maritimes for weeks, it seems.
As a virgin inkshedder, I appreciated the time and the efforts of people to
listen and consider what each presenter had to say. I agree that the inkshedding
opportunity to deepen and extend rather than "provide feedback" (I have come to
hate that phrase) sets the conference outside the usual conference experience. I
often find myself suffering from "fried brain" during a conference because too
much is presented too quickly. I remember something I heard at an Early
Childhood conference many years ago by a brain researcher who said "Young
children need time to roam around the known." I believe we all need that time
and inkshedding provides it.
So, the conundrum of becoming a bigger conference  and preserving the time to
think and explore.I am not in favor of concurrent sessions, even a limited
number. Even though some of the presentations did not directly connect to my
work, they  still provoked thought. I can see a longer poster-session followed
by a good chunk of inkshedding time. Because, as Russ pointed out, being on the
program is an important consideration.
I would be willing to try a panel discussion, although my experience with this
kind of format has not been very positive. I can see the more positive potential
with the group I found at Inkshed, though.
And yes, we do need more physical walking around time! We know the brain works
better when given regular  doses of fresh air and physical exercise. And that
adds up to limiting the number of presentations or perhaps, smaller conferences
twice a year?
I would like to thank everyone for making me feel so included from the start.
Thank you.
Penny