Kenna's got this right (no surprises there):

> As always, a rich conference which certainly deepened the
> questions for me.  And thanks again, Jane, for making things run so
> smoothly that we didn't notice the distracting noises of any necessary
> machinery.

I'd like to add a couple of things: one is thanks to Nan Johnson for
the wonderful Sunday morning wrapup session (and to whoever had the
idea for her to do it), where, among other things, the phrase
"deepening the questions" came up.

Another is thanks to Rick Coe for suggesting the second inkshedding
after my opening session. For those who weren't there, what happened
was that I posed a problem (about writing for others, I thought,
though it turned out to have other implications too), and people
inkshedded; then we had a discussion in which I asked people to read
passages from, or paraphrase, other people's inksheds.  As the
discussion came toward its time limit, Rick passed me a note
suggesting that he wanted to inkshed again -- and that we should edit
and publish _those_ inksheds rather than the first set. We did.

It seems to me, reflecting on it, to have been a wonderful way to
demonstrate the power of inkshedding to focus people's thought, and,
as well, to demonstate this inkshedding isn't primarily about
expression, about publishing, or about providing feedback: it's
primarily a way to structure and deepen a discussion.

I'm hoping to find some ways in the next week or so to help those who
weren't able to be at White Point to share in the experience: we're
editing the inksheds from Nan's wrapup session, and they'll be
available on line; I'm excerpting some of the ones from my session,
along with a commentary, and I invite anyone else to send me texts
related to a presentation or session, or talent night (I've got one
poem and a promise of another) that I can put on the Web site.

I'd also remind everyone who was there with a camera to send me
pictures (either electronically or as prints I can scan).

You can check to see what's there already by going to the Inkshed Web
site (at http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/ ), clicking on the Inkshed 22
link, and clicking on the program: I'm linking things to sessions.
 There are already links from the sessions to the research reports
people sent to be posted in advance of the conference.

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English
St. Thomas University