-------- Original Message --------
Subject: eARLY tHEATRE 8.1(2005)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 21:09:25 -0400
From: Dr H M Ostovich <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Subscription information for Early Theatre is available on our website:
www.earlytheatre.ca   The table of contents for the next issue is below.

We are now looking for articles and notes for Volume 9 (2006): we
publish essays, long or short, on theatre history, performance theory,
popular culture, or interpretations of plays from the medieval and early
modern periods in England.

Early Theatre 8.1 (June 2005)

ARTICLES

Expanding the Political Nation: Gorboduc at the Inns of Court and
Succession Revisited            Jessica Winston

‘If my sign could speak’: The Signboard and the Visual Culture of Early
Modern London   Andrew Gordon

‘Plucking a Crow’ in The Comedy of Errors
        Maureen Godman

‘Vs for to wepe no man may lett’: Accommodating Female Grief in the
Medieval English Lazarus Plays
        Katharine Goodland

NOTE

Oversight as Insight: Reading The Second Shepherds’ Play as The Second
Shepherd’s Play
        Michelle Ann Abate

BOOK  REVIEWS

Leeds Barroll (ed), Susan Zimmerman (book review ed). Shakespeare
Studies 29 (2001).
        Reviewed by Gillian Murray Kendall

Elizabeth Cary. The Tragedy of Mariam:  The Fair Queen of Jewry. Ed
Stephanie Hodgson-Wright. Peterborough, Ontario: Broadview Literary
Texts, 2000.
        Reviewed by Nancy A. Gutierrez

Anthony B. Dawson and Paul Yachnin. The Culture of Playgoing in
Shakespeare’s England: A Collaborative Debate. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, 2001.
        Reviewed by Douglas Bruster

Ben Jonson. Every Man Out of His Humour. Ed Helen Ostovich. The Revels
Plays. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2001.
        Reviewed by W. David Kay

Anne Lancashire. London Civic Theatre: City Drama and Pageantry from
Roman Times to 1558. Cambridge. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
2002.
        Reviewed by Daryll Grantley

Courtney Lehmann. Shakespeare Remains: Theater to Film, Early Modern to
Postmodern.  Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 2002.
        Reviewed by Stephen M. Buhler

Tristan Marshall. Theatre and Empire: Great Britain on the London Stage
under James VI and I Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000.
        Reviewed by David Baker

Thomas Middleton. Michaelmas Term. Ed Gail Kern Paster. The Revels
Plays.  Manchester University Press, 2000.
        Reviewed by Paul Yachnin

Richard Rastall. Minstrels Playing: Music in Early English Religious
Drama. Woodbridge, Suffolk: D.S. Brewer, 2002.
        Reviewed by Joanna Dutka

Alan Shepard. Marlowe’s Soldiers: Rhetorics of Masculinity in the Age of
the Armada.  Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002.
        Reviewed by Mario DiGangi

Bruce R. Smith. The Acoustic World of Early Modern England: Attending to
the O-Factor.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999.
        Reviewed by Alan H. Nelson

Robert Weimann. Author’s Pen and Actor’s Voice: Playing and Writing in
Shakespeare’s Theatre. Ed Helen Higbee and William West. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 2000.
        Reviewed by Ric Knowles

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada