The source of this article is WGRZ: http://tinyurl.com/cywu5

Herbert's Doctor In Demand

Posted by:  Scott Brown, Reporter
Created: 5/5/2005 6:27:21 PM
Updated: 5/6/2005 7:11:14 PM

The Buffalo doctor whose work led to injured firefighter Don Herbert
speaking after years of silence now finds himself in great demand.

Dr. Jamil Ahmed has received calls and e-mails from around the country,
seeking his advice and his help.

Someone from Michigan contacted him about a relative with brain injuries.
"My mother is in the same situation, and we would like to know what
medications you gave your patient?" Dr. Ahmed was asked.

A family physician called asking for help in treating a patient with brain
damage.

Channel 2's Scott Brown asked Dr. Ahmed how it made him feel. "I'm so
excited," he said. "This is my job to work on these type of problems, to
try and help people. I'm going to continue working and try to help as many
people as I can."

Three months ago, Dr. Ahmed put together a cocktail of common medications
to try and stimulate Herbert's brain. Last Saturday they took effect.

There were three drugs used. One treats Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity
Disorder, another is used for Parkinson's disease, and the third for
depression.

Could this cocktail be used to help other patients? "These medications
could definitely make a difference, maybe not for all the patients, but for
many of them," said Ahmed.

"You never know, anybody could wake up, anybody could improve."

That's something Don Herbert's family can now attest to.