I could sure use some advice on this drug. My Dad, 78 years old, who has been diagnosed with PD since 1998 has only taken Carbidopa/Levidopa for all these many years. He currently takes 2 - 100 mg tablets three times a day, plus 1/2 tablet of Simvastanin (spelling?) for cholesterol. The latter drug was only introduced a few months ago. Other than those two meds and an aspirin a day, we've kept things pretty simple. I have been reading this listserv for several years off and on and remember, especially, the drastic side effects drugs can have on the PD patient that ordinarily might not affect a person without PD. He sees a nurse practitioner at the Veterans Adminstration here in Arkansas, and she, along, with most of the doctors in this area know little to nothing about PD and have no interest in changing that. So, the listserv is invaluable when it comes to real life suggestions and observations.

His nurse practitioner suggested Citalopram Hydrobromide, 200 mg daily. I really am hesitant to introduce any new drug that cause bad side effects IF MY DAD MIGHT AVOID THEM. However, I also notice, that since PD affects everyone differently it might be an unavoidable condition of having PD - namely, having to at least try everything suggested and hope that not too much harm is done in the process.

Any thoughts about Citalopram would really be appreciated. I also mentioned to the Nurse Practitioner that Dad was starting to kind of lose his ability to string words and thoughts together more frequently but at other times had a pretty good command of his thought process (possible Lewy Body Disease), She had no comment.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Jann, caregiver to Dad, Jack, 78 yo