Quote:
Here I am asking for your help again.  I need to see this from your angle
so I can help my Parkison's pal.  She is taking too many Sinement pills but
lives alone so there is no supervision.  Her children and I have tried
numerous types of pill boxes but she continues to pilfer pills from other
sources.  That was fine until the last couple of months when she began
having trouble keeping track.  She used to record the time she took each
pill but now she makes incomprehensible notes that even she cannot read the
next day and even if they are readable she has no idea what she was
thinking when she wrote them!  She no longer understands what 24 hours is.
She takes pills in the middle of the night which is OK but she does not
remember when or if so takes another along the way.  She gets so upset if
we try to help yet she calls us at all hours for help!  I finally talked
her in to letting me go to the Neuro with her soon so that will help.

I wonder if Alzheimer's is kicking in but she is only 55. She would balk at
having a home health care nurse but I can't be there 24 hours a day.
Unquote.

You seem to have at least three things going on. The first is really just a
question of money. If you Google "Automatic Pill Dispenser" you will get
about 15000 entries. I looked at the first few and there are many different
types, and the fancier ones can get a bit pricey. If you can afford it
maybe even some of the simpler ones maybe the answer.

Two: It really does sound like dementia is setting in. *BUT*, maybe not. If
she pilfers meds she may be taking the wrong things or at the wrong dosage.
This should be checked and her total meds need to be discussed with the
neuro. The meds need to be controlled.

Three: The jerky motion you describe is probably due to overmedication as
you speculated. Again control of the meds is essential.

K. F. Etzold cg Carline