I'm currently reading Understanding Marijuana: A New Look At The
Scientific Evidence, by Mitch Earleywine. (Pub by Oxford Univesity
Press, 2002).  It's available from the Scientific American (magazine)
book club. (www.sciambookclub.com)

I'm only on chapter 4, but I jumped ahead to the "Medical Marijuana"
chapter.  It concludes that there is little evidence of marijuana's
efficacy in treating PD, but it goes on to list several symptoms
commonly reported by PWP, such as anxiety, dystonia, insomnia, and
pain, on which marijuana seems to have an effect.

Let me add my personal experience.  (Many of you are now thinking,
"Aha! I knew it!")  When my neck, shoulder, and abdominal muscles feel
like ship's ropes (made from hemp fibers, of course), a little
marijuana helps relax them.  I have also personally observed moderate
reduction in my tremors after smoking a few puffs of marijuana.
Emotionally, marijuana makes me feel like everything is just fine.  It
has helped me get through some tough stretches, when I was feeling
anxious or depressed.

Since pot is illegal, quality and strength varies greatly, unless you
can get it from a co-op or something.  I do get mine on the black
market, but I try to stay local and fresh, as with any produce.  This
avoids nasty issues like pesticides, mafia involvement, and our
wonderful drug-war policies.

All disclaimers apply.  Results may vary.  Ask your doctors.  I did.
They have not raised any objection to my judicious, symptom-related
use of marijuana.  But you must be very careful, especially if you're
not knowledgeable or experienced in how marijuana affects you.  And
remember to be vigilant for signs of abuse or dependence.

Enjoy Spring!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]