After all the lobbying of individual MOC, after all the op/ed pieces,
there lies a dirty W., and more reason for concern.  Judge by the
following, taken from a posting here, by YoungParkinsons.com...

"In (an) 11-min. speech, set not in the Oval Office but against an
expanse of Texas prairie, the President talked about the dream of
wiping out Alzheimer's disease and childhood diabetes but also of the
nightmarish "hatcheries" of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World."

Let's see, we have on the one hand solid scientific evidence, and on
the other, fear of some scenario from a novel...

"House passage, [of HR 810, supporting use of excess embryos from
fertility clinics] all sides agree, would spur action in the Senate,
where prospects for an identical bill are just as good, with 58
co-sponsors--just short of a filibuster-proof majority. It helps that
the bill's backers are led by Republican Orrin Hatch of Utah, a lion
of the pro-life movement. From the Senate, barring some kind of a
procedural snag, the bill would wind up on Bush's desk.

"That's an excruciating prospect for the White House, made all the
more so by the fact that a rejection of the stem-cell legislation
would be Bush's first veto ever. Opponents of embryonic-stem-cell
research say they have received private assurances from the White
House that the President will stay true to his word, and they are
working to get enough votes on their side so that the veto cannot be
overturned."

How do you like them apples?  At the top of this whole mess we have a
president who 1. can't handle the issue based on reason and science,
but who relies on ancient texts, gut instinct and superstition, and 2.
is beholden to the Religerants, who would impose a new religious moral
authority on our country.

Three cheers for Orin Hatch!  And believe me, I never thought I would
seriously write that!

Here is the link to the posting by YP:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/16/bush.stemcells.tm/

Enjoy Spring!