Well, it's going to take some time before the answer to Parkinson's is
found.  Yesterday's vote in the US Congress to lift restriction on
some embryonic stem cell research was a small step along the way.  But
even that effort may still fail due to resistance from social
conservatives, including President Bush.

Personally, I fail to see how Bush can send soldiers to die and kill
men, women, children, and yes babies and embryos too, in the name of
some political concept, (oil) and then turn around and ban the use of
a very small number, by comparison, of embryos, with no "collateral
damage" (meaning civilian casualties), in a quest to free millions
from many diseases.  If Iraqi babies aren't worth as much as American
babies, then Bush should support the use of Iraqi embryos in research!

I think there is more than one PWP among us who would give up a great
amount of political freedom if they could be free from this disease
instead.  It may come to that, if the conservatives succeed in making
treatment of disease illegal, as some have tried to do.  We Americans
could find that we must choose between our beloved country and the end
of our Parkinson's.  In light of Bush's other policies, this just
makes me sick to think about it.

It doesn't take me long to start complaining about Bush.  I do it
every day.  Sorry.

But after all, do you think Bush's real concern is that Berlusconi
might clone himself?

You say you don't know much about Celiac, but you then show that you
know much more than the average American.  Yes, my wife was
mis-diagnosed many times.  As far back as childhood, she would always
get sick during Christmas.  They blamed it on everything from the
Christmas tree to nerves.  It was the cookies!  Irritable bowel
syndrome, lactose intolerance, ulcer, menopause, gall bladder, you
name it, she's been told she has it.  All wrong.  It was Celiac all
through her 47 years.  It got to the point that her intestines were
not extracting any nutrients from her food, and her health was really
going slowly downhill for a long time.  She discovered, when she fell
and broke her wrist on the way to another GI test, that she had
osteoporosis, caused by Celiac.  Believe me, when she found out, she
didn't want to hear it, because she loves pastries and pasta and bread
as much as the rest of us do.  But now that she's off wheat, she is a
new person.  It was her DBS, giving her back her health and vitality.
She can even start to heal her bones, now that her intestines are
functioning.

I'm really glad, Gio, that your surgery was successful, and you have
regained a big part of your life.  I hope you have many productive and
happy years.  I have been diagnosed just a few years, but I'm glad
that there is DBS to turn to when I can no longer function using drugs
alone.  I continue to hope, and to have faith that real progress will
be made in our lifetime.  I will also continue to talk and write about
the issue, and try to win support for science and reason.