The Genetics Policy Institute (GPI) will host a landmark event on stem cell research policy, the
"Stem Cell Policy and Advocacy Summit: Sustaining the Mandate for Cures" on June 11-12, 2005 at the
Baylor College of Medicine at the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas. Woo Suk Hwang, D.V.M.,
Ph.D., at the Republic of Korea's Seoul National University and Gerald Schatten, Ph.D., professor of
research development at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine will address the Summit on
the impact of their most recent research, as published online by the journal Science on May 19,
2005.

"Last year at the GPI United Nations Science Conference on Human Cloning Issues, both Dr. Hwang and
Dr. Schatten, joined other leading stem cell scientists from around the world and provided critical
testimony which helped the UN decide to cease work on a treaty that would have called for a ban on
cloning of stem cells. Now, with their latest extraordinary breakthrough in the efficacy of
therapeutic cloning (nuclear transfer), humankind's most devastating diseases and injuries will
likely be treated with therapeutic stem cells decades sooner than previously thought possible. GPI
is delighted that we can present these brilliant researchers to the leaders of the stem cell
community."

"The purpose of this Summit is to provide a gathering of policy-makers, advocacy leaders,
researchers, political strategists, bioethicists and legal experts to discuss critical issues
pertaining to stem cell policy, in order to develop strategies to sustain the mandate for cures in
the post- Proposition 71 world," said Siegel. "The Summit is the next logical step to advance the
cause of stem cell research. The establishment of a broad public policy framework is critically
needed at this juncture, when public policy seems to be lagging behind the enormous breakthroughs
being made by science."

The two-day summit will also feature welcoming comments by two legends of cardiovascular
medicine-Dr. Michael E. DeBakey and Dr. Denton Cooley," said Siegel. "It will be fascinating to hear
these 20th century giants of medicine express their views about embryonic stem cell research, which
is potentially the greatest medical breakthrough of our time."

The Summit is co-hosted by the Baylor College of Medicine, with institutional co-organizers the
James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University and the Texas A&M Health Science
Center.

The Genetics Policy Institute is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing scientific research
for the development of cures. GPI is a sponsored project of the National Heritage Foundation, a
federally recognized 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization. For more information and registration
details, please visit http://www.genpol.org/

Nina P. Brown

Texans for Advancement of Medical Research (TAMR), Asst. Treasurer and Founding Board Member

Parkinson's Action Network, Texas Coordinator

Texas Parkinson's Action Network, President and CEO

Houston Area Parkinson Society, Vice President

"Circumstances determine our lives, but we shape our lives by what we make of our circumstances."