Have they tried the feeding tube?  It isn't as terrible as you might
think; it would provide immediate and lasting nourishment, with a
relatively small inconvenience (as far as mobility).  Her son should be
able to see to it.  In any case, her husband & son (and you) should
take heart that if swallowing/eating is the issue, this can be resolved
with the pic.

-Theresa