I had the opportunity to see a reprisal on an empty House floor, of Rep. Roscoe Bartlett's Bill HR 2574 that would fund studies on primates to take cells at the preimplantation genetic analysis stage to create a repair kit for the embryo and use extra cells to create stem cell lines.  This seems to make sense, as identical twinning cloning does not destroy an embryo.

He repeated the "yes" answers from NIH docs that this could be done based on fact that it has been done and is akin to identical twinning, where embryo is not destroyed.  He also repeated the "no" from Karl Rove (this was in 2001 right before Bush made his crazy decision.)  He also showed a white paper from NIH explaining the procedure but noted that conclusions that it couldn't be done looked like they had been written by someone else.

What is disturbing to me, is that no one is  listening to him.  He voted no on HR 810.  His line of research deserves exploration and I'm wondering why Karl Rove put a stop to it in 2001.

Of course, if it were done successfully, you would still have extra embryos as long as you have IVF clinics which his co-sponsor Rep.Phil Gingrey, R from Georgia wants to curtail, but he sees his bill as one that would satisfy the objections of both sides.  He has  PhD in Physiology and advanced studies in embryology.  He was honest about the fact that there will never be a baby for each of those extra IVF embryos.

This seems like another ploy by the Bush-Rove administration to cater to the most ignorant among us for their vote at the expense of my life.

It's simply unbelievable.  No one is listening to the only fair, informed, sane and balanced voice in the Congress.

Ray