The source of this article is ABC News Australia: http://tinyurl.com/7fb7g

Sunday June 5, 12:28 PM

Approval sought for animal egg, human stem cell research

An Australian researcher is calling for changes to federal legislation, to
allow the creation of diseased human embryonic stem cells grown in animal eggs.

The request comes as a new Federal Government committee prepares to review
cloning laws, which currently do not permit the research.

The director of Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories in Melbourne,
Professor Alan Trounson, says the scientific work could have long-term
impacts for patients with cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

He says while growing embryos in a human egg is preferable, eggs in animals
such as rabbits would also work.

"This would just give us an embryonic stem cell line which would in fact be
a human embryonic human stem cell line, but it would be used solely for
research and discovery," he said.

"This way you're not using scarce resources like human eggs and if it works
then I think we can develop stem cell lines for a very broad range of
diseases."