 Ann Neurol. 2005 Feb;57(2):298-302.

Intraputamenal infusion of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in
PD: a two-year outcome study.

Patel NK, Bunnage M, Plaha P, Svendsen CN, Heywood P, Gill SS.

Frenchay Hospital, Institute of Neurosciences, Bristol, United Kingdom.

We have shown previously that intraparenchymal infusion of glial cell
line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) continuously into the posterior
putamen in five Parkinson's disease patients is safe and may represent a new
treatment option. Here, we report a continuation of this phase I study.
After 2 years of continual GDNF infusion, there were no serious clinical
side effects and no significant detrimental effects on cognition. Patients
showed a 57% and 63% improvement in their off-medication motor and
activities of daily living subscores of the Unified Parkinson's Disease
Rating Scale, respectively, and health-related quality-of-life measures
(Parkinson's Disease Questionnaire-39 and Short Form-36) showed general
improvement over time