Embryonic Stem Cells; Are we putting the cart before the horse?

In listening to the pro-con embryonic stem cell arguments all that I have
heard so far is those that are opposed to abortion, even though it is legal
and those who that are convinced we are close to cures using this new
science, if only we would permit it.

We have heard from Michael J. Fox that Parkinson's is the easiest to cure,
and others that it is just a matter of money. We are post-Udall several
years and where has all of that money appropriated to find a cure gone? The
only things we have seen are a few more drugs that are just cocktails of
old drugs that just treat the symptom rather than cure the condition.

One thing is sure, voters around the world are being convinced that stem
cell research if approved will only be a matter of a short time that every
condition known to man will be cured.

I consider myself just slightly more informed about embryonic stem cells
than my neighbors who know nothing at all and attend church whenever it meets.

I understand that ideopathic Parkinson's is a brain condition involving
certain cells that become dysfunctional and die or commit suicide.
Parkinson's is a designer condition that varies from person to person and
only after an examination of your brain after death can it be determined
you have the disease.

I don't know much about DNA. Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong
because like you I am learning.

Each person has a unique DNA, a blueprint. If I understand correctly, the
DNA that a child has is a product of his or her father and mother. During
life, the DNA changes due to environment and diseases and conditions occur
when this blueprint is altered or have been genetically passed on.

We have been told that the cause of Parkinson's is partly genetic and
partly environment.

Dr. Michael Levesque, a pioneer in stem cell research used Patient #1s
cells to create new cells that were implanted into Patient #1s brain. The
result was Patient #1 experienced some improvement but when it was several
years past, still has Parkinson's. This is the argument that some are
making for adult stem cells. It seems clear to me that if you create cells
from a Parkinson's patient, they are programmed for death and any benefit
will just be to the surgeon's college fund.

Please see the graphic so you can understand what the process of creating
embryonic stem cells is all about.
http://www.theage.com.au/media/2005/06/10/1118347600436.html

Dr. Woo Suk Hwang in Korea is proposing using the DNA from the patient to
eliminate the rejection of the stem cells. Perhaps you could have the DNA
from Pope John Paul, Yassar Arrafat, Billy Graham but you see they all had
Parkinson's.

It makes it hard for a farm boy from Oklahoma to see where all the cures
will come from if they use our DNA.

Until more is known about the common markers in the DNA of ideopathic
Parkinson's suffers a means to correct the DNA will just be a "false hope".
We all have our hearts on our sleeves, we are hoping so hard.

The meeting in Houston was just a meeting to organize to stir us up to
fight for their cause which is a "Jobs Program" for scientists. The drug
companies have their lobby and the scientists have the Texas organization.

In all of the states where voters and legislatures have enabled stem cell
research, the real effort is creating the cells for the heart, liver and
lungs. Parkinson's and other conditions are way down on their list. It will
be big money for the companies who do it first.

We have to be vigilant and demand a place at the table. We are small but
mighty!

John Cottingham