Meet the Press
July 19, 2005
Transcript:

MR. RUSSERT: Let me turn to another ethical, moral, political issue, stem
cell research. In 2000, John McCain and 19 other senators wrote a letter
which said "Since 1996 Congress has banned federal funding for `research
in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed.' ...we support [this
law]." You've changed your mind.

SEN. McCAIN: Yes, I have.

MR. RUSSERT: Why?

SEN. McCAIN: For a large number of reasons, ranging from getting briefed
by very smart people on this issue and including discussing this with
Nancy Reagan who, as you know, is a very strong advocate for stem cell
research. I want to make it clear that those of us who support this do
not believe that it has anything to do with human cloning and all of us
are against human cloning. I look forward to the debate. It's a very
complex scientific issue. But for us to throw away opportunities to cure
diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's and many others I think
would be a mistake. I look forward to the debate. It's interesting that
more than two-thirds of the American people support stem cell research.

MR. RUSSERT: There is a discussion now in legislation which would say
that embryos created in fertilization clinics that are not used by the
couple to have another baby could be used for stem-cell research. Others
say, no, no, they should be given to other couples, so-called snowflake
babies. Where do you come down on that?

SEN. McCAIN: I think that--first of all, I don't claim to be an expert.
But, second of all, I think that should be up to the couples that--whose
embryos they are. I think that's a decision that they should probably
make.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8245636/