before i get started on my post, i want to join hearts with everyone on
this list to mourn the loss of two such dynamic contributors: Murray and
Jo Ann. May they rest and enjoy afterlife to their hearts content.
as many of you know, for the past 5 or 6 years, i have been affiliated
with the Parkinson's Alliance as the umbrella under which i was able to
hold my fundraisers: Shake, Rattle & Roll for Parkinson's Disease. this
year, we have come to an amicable parting of the ways. we both thought
that it was time for my involvment to take a more localized direction.
these past few months, i have been very busy putting together a board of
directors, electing officers, writing a mission statement and having
meetings. our board has voted to go with the Community Foundation of
Central Illinois as our not-for-profit sponsor and we are all quite
happy with this arrangement. the board will decide where our money
raised will best help out with local PD projects; such as Dr. Craig
Cady's stem cell research lab at Bradley and Dr. Marc Katchen's movement
disorder clinic at Methodist Hospital. we are calling ourselves CALIPSO
for Central Il Advocates for Lives Interrupted by Parkinson's Support
Organization (it's a mouthful, i know!!) but people remember us by
Calipso. My astute partner and friend, Holly Angus has started a Young
Onset Support group, so we are all happy, trying to make a differnence
with our own skills. My particular gift has been with fundraising but
i'm not sure how many more of these large events i can still do by
myself or with just Holly. so i have enlisted the help of the Peoria
Jaycee's and a service fraternity at Bradley University who will both
help out planning and working at my events from now on.
this year our Shake, Rattle & Roll will be held on Sunday, September
11th. it just happens that this date is the only one where all of my
bands can come. we are not nor do we intend any disrespect for the
solemnity of this date. It will be held at Kelleher's Irish Pub
on the beautiful downtown riverfront in Pat Sullivan's
currantly-under-construction parking lot which will become a park. we
have plans though not written in stone yet. everyone is invited to make
the trip to illinois. please contact me off-list for details. we hope to
have a parachute jump in by a friend of mine who is a double amputee and
then he will give a short message about "it's the ability; not the
disability." this will be followed by a walk/run and getting those
participants fed. after noon, my friend, Jay Goldberg with Jam
Productions will be promoting the entertainment which will include a
tasteful rememberance of those who gave their lives on September 11th.
we are planning a young group of pre-teens, a older group(ala Four
Freshman) to do standards, Applegate & Co. (a local, woderfully talented
bluegrass group, a special reunion of Ken Carlyle & the Cadillac Cowboys
(their first time together in over 20 years-coming in from all over the
country), an appearance by Sally Weisenberg and a list of All-Stars and
we're also bringing back, the legendary bluesman, Patrick Hazell from
Iowa. we will also be serving beer and food and have a silent auction.
it sounds as if this will be a wonderful time with plenty of great
entertainment, good folks and plenty of awareness...so please wish us
good luck and good weather and a great contribution from all involved.
thanks-hope to see you here!!

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   54/14
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm