yes - you remember correctly.  Congress passed a  Medicare prescription
drug  bill that prohibits Medicare from negotiating for the best prices
for drugs. Why? The big Pharma companies have one of the largest number
of lobbyists in Washington and these companies are major contributors to
both Republican and Democrat members of Congress.
(from "The truth about the drug companies" by Dr. Maria Angell - a very
interesting and enlightening book)

Linda