Hello, Everyone,

Attached you will find a call for papers for the 2006 Center for
Research in Festive Culture Seminar schedule.  Please let me know if you
have any questions or trouble with the file.

Sincerely,
Erin Lucido

Erin Lucido, Program Assistant
Office of Research and Education
The Newberry Library
phone: 312.255.3666
e-mail: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

CALL FOR PAPERS:

CENTER FOR RESEARCH IN FESTIVE CULTURE
Seminars 2006:  Fridays, 2-5 pm,
March 10, March 31, and April 14 at the Newberry Library

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:  SEPT. 1, 2005

Dear Colleagues and Friends:
        Before reviewing the manner of application to give papers in
next year's seminars, let me mention several other matters. First, you
might like to take a look at our website, which gives general
information on the Center and lists the past seminars
(www.festival-studies.org). It's a work in progress.  We plan to insert
pictures and add more pages (e.g., announcing events such as conferences
on festive subjects and important publications, and listing links to
other interesting sites).  We will also create an even better design, so
keep looking at it from time to time.

       Second, I apologize for the absent summaries for you of this
year's seminars.  Some of you have written to say that these summaries
fill out the Center's purpose of giving primacy to deep discussion among
informed scholars, as opposed to the idea of simply affording a showcase
for current work.  I do therefore expect to work up such summaries
during this summer.

        Those who have regularly reviewed the subjects so far presented
in the seminars will have noticed the preponderance of Euro-American and
politico-historical topics.  When I suggested last year that the 2005
seminars be oriented toward problematics of festive visual elements (the
use of signs and symbols, of banners and costuming, of "spectacle" in
all its aspects), no papers were proposed.  We decided then to repeat
our theme of 2004, the involvement of politics in festivities. While not
excluding further exploration of that theme, we have decided to open
next year's seminars to any subject of concern to those who wish to
submit papers.

        Several papers considered but not adopted for the seminars in
past years have already been accepted for next year's sessions.  As
supplements to these, we are particularly interested in receiving
proposals in the following areas:  20th-century American festivity;
earlymodern European studies of dramatic and/or musical festivities;
anthropologically or folklorically oriented analyses of festivity.

        To apply, please send a brief c.v. and a one-page synopsis of
the proposed paper, including a statement about the relation of the
paper to your other work.  Send these materials by e-mail either to me,
  Sam Kinser, Director, CRFC ([log in to unmask]) or to Erin Lucido,
secretary for the CRFC at the Newberry Library, Chicago

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada