Peggy wrote:

> My initial question for this group is about antidepressants and drug
> interactions.  Since surgery Mom has been experiencing high levels of
> anxiety/agitation that increase noticeably in the late afternoon and into
> evening.

Welcome to CARE, Peggy.  I hope that you will find this list helpful.

Your mother may be experiencing 'Sun-downing,'  a phenomena that occurs in
the elderly and neurologically impaired folks toward the end of the day.
Her neurologist should be able to prescribe an anti-anxiety med for her.
Please go the PIEN Web site and pull up the list of drugs that are
incompatible with PD.  Give the list to the facility that is housing your
mom to make sure that none of those drugs are prescribed for her.

I am an RN whose husband has had PD for 25 years.  I carry that list with me
in the event that we need to show it to one of his physicians.  I have
learned not to assume that physicians know about the contraindicated meds.

Recently I took care of a very agitated PD patient who was in need of
medication. His psychiatrist was about to order Haldol  when I intervened
(Haldol is one of the drugs that is very detrimental - as is Reglan).   I
was shocked to learn that, even though he knew that Haldol adversely
affected PD, he was going to order it anyway.  I got him to order a more
benign medication instead.

We must be ever vigilant.
---------
God bless