FROM: Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "CAMR" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:41:51 GMT
Subject: Stem Cell Action Needed Over Congressional 4th of July Break

Action Needed During Congressional Break for
Fourth of July!!!

This weekend, Members of the U.S. Senate will return to their home states
for the Fourth of July Congressional break. This will likely be your last
opportunity to urge your Senator to vote in favor of embryonic stem cell
research before the issue comes to a vote on the Senate floor later in
July.

Please take advantage of this great opportunity to deliver this message:

VOTE PRO-CURES
PASS H.R. 810
NO AMENDMENTS!

We need you to help us build on the House passage of the Castle-DeGette
Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, HR 810. You and your collective
voices helped us bring about a near miracle in the House -- 50 Republican
Members of Congress voting for HR 810 -- and now we need to confirm that
victory in the Senate, and bring unprecedented pressure to bear on the
White House to sign this into law!

Here's how you can win for stem cell research again next week.

Contact your two Senator's local offices. Find out where he or she will
be making public appearances. Then show up with large hand-made signs and
banners urging a "yes" vote for stem cell research (H.R. 810) with no
amendments! Remember, if even friendly Senators try to change the
Castle-DeGette bill in seemingly innocuous ways, it could force another
floor vote in the House which could kill our current momentum.

Write letters, make phone calls, try to see your Senator in person and
tell him/her your personal reason for favoring embryonic stem cell
research.

Write a Letter to the Editor to your local paper. Your Senators and their
staffs will read them. We have provided a template below to help you
draft your letter.

We need to be seen by every Senator – whether they are on our side or
not, or if they are still making up their mind. We need to make the
PRO-CURES Movement visible in this country to every U.S. Senator.

With your help -- as you have given it in the past -- we will win in the
end.

Sample Letter to the Editor:

Although I am neither a scientist nor a politician, I am very interested
in embryonic stem cell research. It is particularly important to me as a
person and as an American. ***[EXPLAIN YOUR STEM CELL RESEARCH CONNECTION
IN 2 OR 3 SENTENCES].

When President Bush announced his stem cell policy in August 2001, we
could not have foreseen that the 78 embryonic stem cell lines available
for research at that time would not be sufficient today. While it
originally appeared that 78 lines would be used for research under the
federal policy, only 22 are available to researchers today.

Today, there’s a good chance to change the Administration’s outdated
policy on stem cell research. The House of Representatives has already
voted YES on HR 810, a bill that expands the cell lines available for
federal research. The legislation also establishes federal guidelines to
ensure that embryonic stem cell research moves forward in a safe and
ethical manner.

Now it is the responsibility of the Senate to pass identical legislation
with strong bi-partisan support. Polls show solid majorities of
conservatives, moderates, and liberals support expanding stem cell
research. I urge [YOUR SENATORS] to join [HIS/HER] Democratic and
Republican colleagues in voting YES on HR 810, The Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act of 2005 – without any amendments. This would mean so much
to me and my family.

Congress has the chance to expand this policy and vote in favor of stem
cell research. Unfortunately, President Bush has vowed to veto this
important legislation. Despite the promise of the research, and despite
recent polling data that shows that over 70% of Americans believe that
stem cell research should be allowed today, the President seems to be
bending to the political will of a minority rather than standing with the
millions of Americans who could benefit from this research. As the merits
of advancing stem cell research are debated, I would urge the President
to reconsider his position and stand together with the bipartisan
majority in Congress who want to help people like me and my family.

The world’s top scientists agree that this research could lead to new
treatments or even a cure for [ME, MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS], or of
millions of people battling other serious diseases and conditions. For
me, this is not a political debate or a partisan issue – it is about a
hopeful science that could potentially save [ME OR LOVED ONE WITH A
DISEASE THAT COULD BE HELPED BY STEM CELL RESEARCH]. It is my sincere
hope that politicians of both parties will support this important
research and vote YES on HR 810.