Peggy,

My heart goes out to you. My mom worked 36 hours per week and enjoyed
perfect health until four years ago. An avid gardener and exercise nut,
she was always able to do the NY Times crosswords in pen, using only the
"across" clues. She walked five miles every day of her life and had the
mental faculties of a 25-year old.

She had a hip replaced in 2001. The surgery went well but she was
delusional for four days afterwards, requiring sedatives and pain meds.
I suspect she experienced prolonged oxygen deficiency but can't prove
this. At any rate, she's never been the same. Her IQ has dropped
dramatically and she's developed irrational phobias and unhealthy
thoughts about foods (can't swallow water, can no longer tolerate fruits
or vegetables, etc.). Constipation and severe weight loss became serious
issues; her doctor prescribed yet more drugs including Paxil and
sleeping pills. I begged her to quit taking them but it was useless.

Two years later she fell in the night and broke her femur, requiring a
5.5 hour surgery with heavy sedation, and another 4 days of sedatives
and pain meds followed. I was at her side this time; her oxygen dipped
to 84, BP was way low. I forced them to lighten up on her meds and she
slowly came out of it, but is now totally unable to care for herself.
Requip and Sinemet help some but she's generally becoming foggier,
weaker and less steady.

Read up on drug-induced Parkinsonism. Since my mother is an identical
twin and her 78-year old sister remains in the same terrific shape both
mentally and physically as my mom was pre-op, I'm convinced chemicals
are 100% to blame. When will the medical establishment own up to its
role in this horror and quit over-medicating the elderly for their
convenience?

With sympathy and hope,

Greyling