In spite of this very hopeful report on the promise of GDNF, not only to
treat symptoms, but to also sprout new brain cells and delay the
progression of the disease, we face many roadblocks to further
development of  GDNF and  its availability to  PWP.

Yesterday the judge in Lexington Kentucky ruled against the patients who
sued Amgen for the reinstatement of their GDNF  treatment, citing
contractual issues. News article is below.
But the fight goes on.

See the Parkinson Pipeline Project  www.pipeline.org and the Grassroots
connection www.grassrootsconnection.com for more information on the  GDNF
trials controversy and for suggestions on what you can do to help
reinstate treatment for the trial participants, and on the larger issue
of the protecting the rights of  clinical trial participants.

FROM: Lexington Herald-Leader
 Tue, Jul. 12, 2005

Parkinson's patients lose fight to regain drug

By Barbara Isaacs
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

Eight Kentucky patients with Parkinson's disease lost their federal court
fight to get access to an experimental drug pulled from a University of
Kentucky study last year.

U.S. District Court Judge Joseph M. Hood sided with the drug's producer,
Amgen, saying that the company had "submitted credible, scientific
evidence supporting their reasons for termination" of the drug study. He
said those reasons included company studies that showed the drug wasn't
effective and safety concerns.

The company said studies found that high doses of the drug, called GDNF
(glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor), caused brain damage in
some monkeys.

"Although the Court personally understands the devastation Parkinson's
disease brings to the lives of those who have the disease (my late father
suffered from it) and the plaintiffs' immense desire for a cure," Hood
wrote in his ruling, "the public interest would not be furthered by
ordering a clinical trial sponsor to provide unapproved and potentially
dangerous drugs to clinical trial participants."

The eight patients filed suit last month to get GDNF because Amgen, a
California biomedical company, halted use of the drug in September.

Patients who filed the suit were devastated by the news. The patients and
UK researchers think GDNF, a synthetic protein, slowed or in some cases
halted the progression of the degenerative brain disease, which causes
tremors and impairs movement.

"I guess I'm selfish -- I wanted the cure," said Dan Webster, 57, of
Irvine. "I'm very disappointed. Yesterday, I thought about the possible
outcomes and I cried. ... I'm not a happy camper." Webster said GDNF made
him able to walk normally; now he's stumbling and often in a wheelchair.

A similar lawsuit was filed in New York in April but was dismissed by a
U.S. District Court judge there. The case has been appealed to the U.S.
Second Circuit Court of Appeals.

"I think we could appeal, but it's probably futile," Webster said. "It's
probably the end of the line for me."

"All of us here are basically upset that things have taken the course
they have taken," said Dr. John Slevin, a UK neurologist and a principal
investigator of the UK GDNF study. "With all of these findings, it's
still very much an open question if the drug truly works or does truly
have side effects."

All four UK researchers overseeing the study had provided affidavits
supporting the lawsuit.

The patients who were treated with GDNF at UK were administered the drug
through a pump implanted in their abdomens. Catheters leading from the
pump took the GDNF directly to their brains. Slevin said the patients at
UK took GDNF for between one and two years each and continued to show
improvement during their treatment.

Officials with Amgen have said they decided to stop the GDNF trials after
a thorough review of clinical and safety data.
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/12110731.htm