From: "Ting YJ"

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:20 AM
Subject: 回覆: Re: comtan & Selegiline ?

> Greg,
>
> Thanks for your valuable information ! One more question ....
>
> About the Comtan & Sinemet combined,the comtan may enhance the
levodopa dose 50% entering the brain.That means ,for example,if I
> took Sinemet 150mg each time before. Now,I take Comtan 200mg &
> Sinemet 100mg each time. Then I may get the same treatment(improve the
same motion activity) ( That is not related to the "on" time).
> Is that right,from your experience ??
>
> Ting.
>

> Greg Wasson 說:
> Ting,
>
> Both are said to be correct. I have been taking them in combination for
years, although in the US comtan I believe is only available in 200mg
caplets. I have not noticed a significant increase in "on" time however.

> Selegiline, or eldepryl, or deprenyl (all the same), is an mao-b
reuptake inhibitor. After a neutransmission a certain amount of dopamine is
left over and MAO-B acts to clean up the residue by eliminating the excess
dopamine. Selegiline acts to increase and conserve the availiable dopamine
by inhibitiing the MAO-B and preventing from it from eliminating the
dopamine after a neurotransmission. Selegiline also metabolizes into a form
of methaphetamine, and therefore keeps some Parkies from getting too
lethargic. That is also why it should not be taken past the early afternoon
because it can interfere with sleep.

> Greg Wassom
>
> Ting YJ wrote:
> (1) Anyone have the experience in taking comtan & levodopa together?
> I take comtan 100mg & levodopa(sinemet) 50mg after each meal.
> There are two statements about above doses :
> (a) the comtan may enhance the levodopa dose from 50mg to
> 75mg(enhance 50% entering the brain).
> (b) the comtan,as the inhibitor role, may extend the levodopa active
> state 25%,ex. from 2hrs to 2.5hrs.
>
> I not assure which one is correct ? or,both correct ?
>
> (2) What is the purpose about Selegiline ? What is it good to PD
> patient ?
>
> Ting.

mailto:[log in to unmask]
> 啁拙閮嚗鞎餌雯頝舫閰曹遙雿嚗擐砌銝