Hi, Scott,

I don't mind your replying at all.  My situation is a bit different than
yours.  I'm 60 years old and when I was diagnosed with PD 6 yrs ago I made a
decision that I could continue working in a very stressful job (I was a
Postmaster) and use up my remaining "good" years doing something that
brought me little pleasure and much grief.  So I retired.  I was also very
ill at the time (turned out to be sarcoidosis that apparently inhabited my
body at about the same time but have nothing to do with each other).  I was
bedridden for over a year, lost 40 pounds, became really anemic, etc..  So
retiring wasn't a hard decision to make.

I have one child she is 39 years old and has a family of her own.  My
husband is still working full time.  He is also a retired Air Force Officer.
He spent 20 years flying in fighter planes and doing all the traveling he
was interested in doing.

We take trips together to see family and since we're close to Vegas we
sometimes go there together.

He is really okay with my traveling.  He just isn't interested in going
himself.  He worries when I take on a big trip like the one to Italy this
summer so he paid for my daughter to go with me and help out and also for us
to have an incredible experience together.

I have one granddaughter, 12 years old.  I have always been very active in
her life.  In the very beginning before the PD was giving me much trouble I
traveled with her.  We went to Washington DC, New York City (2 weeks before
THE 9/11) and spent a month one summer in a little cottage in Pennsylvania.

Before PD I worked very, very hard.  I don't mean to sound insensitive to my
husband, but I really have never felt guilty.  I think it's because I'm not
taking something away from him.

It sounds as if your wife loves you very much and understands that your
window of opportunity to travel is more limited that those without PD and
she wants you to fit all the enjoyment you can inside that window.

Unless it is taking food from your family's table or causing some other kind
of deprivation to your family I would suggest that you go while you can and
take your wife and the kids with you as often as you can.  You don't have to
go to Italy to have a fabulous time.

Claudia