 This was published on August 2, 2005, Ray
To the Editor:

I appreciate Brian Steidinger's July 29 letter regarding myths about stem-cell research.

As an ovarian cancer survivor and now a 10-year Parkinson's disease prisoner, I know that we need all kinds of stem-cell research - adult, embryonic, synthetic, nuclear transfer or therapeutic cloning if we are ever going to make progress against the diseases that steal the lives of children and adults.

Opposition once existed to vaccinations, blood transfusions and organ transplants.

When it works, as with in-vitro fertilization, the opposition will dissolve.

In the meantime, we should not be held hostage to the beliefs of people who confuse scientific with religious truth.

Rayilyn Brown

Surprise, Ariz.