We speak of the "fact" that there are variously one to
one-and-one-half million people in the United States who have
Parkinson's, and PAN, most notably among others, has calculated the
savings that will be made by finding a cure for Parkinson's on that
basis.  The savings are great, but it would be even more convincing
were we to justify citing a higher figure.

On the Sparkle list, Bunny Depew has called out attention to this website:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/index.html

Follow the link on this home to "Diseases Lookup" and click on "P,"
and then scroll down and click on  Parkinson's Disease.

  The page "Introduction: Parkinson's Disease" comes up.  In the
fourth paragraph, "Misdiagnosis and Parkinson's Disease," click on
"failure to diagnose Parkinson's disease."  You might have gotten to
this page via another route, but you now have these words in front of
you: "Undiagnosed prevalence of Parkinson's Disease: estimated 3-4
million people," and "Undiagnosed prevalence rate: approx 1 in 90 or
1.10% or 3 million people in USA."

 From which we might conclude that the number of people with
Parkinson's in the United States is three or four times greater than
the figures that we have been using as our case for research?  Three
times the reasons to cure Parkinson's?  Three times the savings from
our efforts?

I know better than to jump to a conclusion based on internet data
from web sites that are not familiar to me, but this could be a big
win for advocacy if we can justify this much higher figure.

Art

Visit the "Corner Castle" website at www.ccastle.org/jah.html