Mackenzie,
Opponents of embryonic stem cell research claim a "person" is being murdered
or killed when blastocysts are used for research.  Theoretically and
actually they could become a person if they survive thawing, succeed in
implantation in a womb, survive gestation and are born alive.  This is the
"moral" argument against using blastocysts for research.  They don't seem to
oppose the IVF clinics that produce and routinely discard them in the IVF
process.

Nuclear transfer, an unfertilized egg and one's own DNA, COULD possibly lead
to your own delayed twin being born, like
Snuppy the dog, although all legislation that I've heard of bans that.  I
personally am not offended by human cloning, but there is a great fear of it
among opponents of ESCR, they re afraid it will lead to that.

In the Congress they are kicking around ideas re legislation that  would
allow for taking a cell to create stem cell lines  from an embryo w/out
destroying the embryo, something like they do in gene checking for defects
in the IVF process.  No animal research has been done on this.

I still don't know what they will do with the extra embryos, unless they can
get them all "adopted" which is a pretty daunting task.

I don't think 100 microscopic undifferentiated cells are a person, but
bestowing personhood and a SSN on these cells would make it easier to
overturn Roe v. Wade.  It has been made into an
abortion issue, which I think is wrong.
Ray