From: "Greg Wasson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: How do you cope?

> Rick,
>
> Here's how I cope.
>
> 1 -- By supporting people like Cindy Sheehan and the dozens of other
mothers of dead soldiers who are camped outside the road to President
Bush's Texas White House in Crawford right now, which is apparently
making him so uncomfortable that he commented on it three times
yesterday alone. He will pass by the encampment today on his way to a
fundraiser.

> 2 -- By writing and phoning Congress and the President to support HR
810 on human embryonic stem cell research. If we can turn Frist, we
can pass the bill and force the president to veto it or sign it. Even
if he vetoes it, his party will pay dearly in the midterm elections.

> 3 -- By working in the states to enact legislation such as
proposition 71 in California to do what the NIH should be doing.

> 4 -- By taking heart in the fact that vital research is going on
around the world despite the policies of the current administration in
the US.

> 5 -- By remembering that in August 2001 the majority of Americans
did not support stem cell research and that 75% support it today --
that shift is due to a deliberate and unrelenting campaign to educate
the American public about this research conducted primarily by CAMR,
the JDRF, and PAN.

> 6 -- By knowing that the stage three clinical trials report on
Spheramine (retinal epithelial cells) will be out before the end of
the year and may be a giant leap forward in Parkinson's treatments.

> 7 -- By reading the report of the Bristol autopsy in the UK on a
clinical trial participant in a study of GDNF which shows for the
first time that this growth factor actually sprouted new dopamine
producing neurons in the human brain without any apparent side effects
or problems, and actually regressing this man's PD. No other potential
treatment has been proven to regress the actual disease instead of
just masking its symptoms for a few hours.

> 8 -- By taking heart in the fact that when any politician discusses
curing diseases now, Parkinson's is almost always mentioned at or near
the top of the list.

> 9 -- By remembering that funding for Parkinson's research has
increased tenfold in less than 10 years.

> 10 -- By not giving up.
>
> It's a long road that has no turning.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Greg Wasson