Dear All,
The Great Stem Cell Debate hosted by ABC's Dr Norman Swan is next week.
Free to the public during National Science Week.
The Sydney debate is to be held in The Garvan Auditorium.
This coming Wednesday evening (August 17) from 6 - 8.30.
The NSW Stem Cell Network together with Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute and Garvan Institute of Medical Research is hosting a hypothetical debate about the use of stem cells.
Special guests will be Prof. Rob Jansen - Sydney IVF
                                Prof. Bernie Tuch - Prince of Wales Hospital
                                Dr Paul Brock - Stem Cell Advocate
To register for Sydney ring Danielle Fischer 0292958108

Melbourne is Thurs. Aug 18th from 6 - 8.30pm at The Victorian State Library.
Special guests will be Prof. Martin Pera - Monash University
                                Prof. Julian Savulescu - University of Oxford
To register for Melbourne ring Sarah Chan 0383416245

I'm going to the Sydney debate and know that many of you will be behind me even though you can't attend.
                                         Warm Regards,
                                                                Lee

Peggy Willocks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
HR 810 "Stem Cell Enhancement Act of 2005" will most likely come to the
Senate for a vote by September.

I know we have different feelings and beliefs on this forum, but having seen
the 4th PWP since January pass away from PD complications has about done me
in. In January, a good teacher friend of mine (she was my mentor) passed
on, then two people from my support group (they were older, but still
valuable people), and finally, my online friend, Tim Foley - who had MSA
(Parkinson's Plus) and was only 43. It's a long way off, but I believe stem
cell research could have made a difference - if not cured, they could at
least have a better quality of life.

At any rate, I would like to share my letter to Bush with you:

WARNING! There is strong content about PD used in this letter.

Dear President Bush:
August 9, 2005

Today, I lost friend, age 43, to complications from Parkinson's, a disease I
have shared for nearly 12 years. Three years ago, I lost another friend,
59, with Parkinson's Plus, when her immobility caused her lungs to fill with
fluid and her kidneys to shut down. In January, another was lost, age 66,
when she choked on her food; and last summer yet another. Just this year, I
lost two elderly people from my support group from Parkinson's. And the
long hell that these people lived through in their last years brought death
as a welcomed reprieve. The promise of stem cell research might have saved
at least one of them.

Parkinson's is often perceived as "just a tremor," which affects mostly
people over 60. But more and more young onset cases are being diagnosed
daily. I was age 44 when diagnosed, but had symptoms as early as my late
30's. I didn't do drugs, smoke, or drink; and no one in my family had
Parkinson's. I believe my disease is the result of environmental toxins
from insecticides.

When diagnosed, I had been married for 27 years, had three children, and was
enjoying a late life career as an elementary principal. What started as a
tremor quickly spread to periods of extremely slow and painful movement of
my hands, arms, and legs. There are times when I cannot swallow and I drool
with slurred speech. My feet "freeze" and I fall in attempts to walk. At
night I cannot turn over in bed, and I must "shuffle" my feet in the
mornings and suffer extreme rigidity until my medicine "kicks in." My life
is built around a medicine bottle, and an expensive one at a monthly cost of
nearly $900.

Three years after my diagnosis, I was named 1997 Tennessee Principal of the
Year. In 1998, I was forced to take disability retirement. Two years
later I underwent experimental brain surgery, which has helped, but isn't a
cure. I have become an advocate with the Parkinson's Action Network, a
lobbying group in Washington, DC. Just a few months ago, I was awarded the
Milly Kondracke Award for Outstanding Advocacy, named after the wife of Mort
Kondracke - Fox News contributor and Executive Editor of Roll Call - who
lost Milly last summer.

I am a pro-life Christian from a long family line of conservative
Republicans, but cannot understand your stand against embryonic stem cell
research as specifically proposed in HR 810. How can you and many others
be so inconsistent about protecting "life," when the very embryos you
allowed "man" to create are going to end up as medical waste, if not adopted
by an infertile couple? The "Snowflake" embryo adoption program will not be
stymied by approval of HR 810. And our country needs to set strict
guidelines for stem cell research, because it WILL go on in the private
sector.

My friend, Senator Frist, knew he had to throw his support behind embryonic
stem cell research; there are far too many indicators that it will lead to
better treatments or the cure of many diseases, such as Parkinson's,
Alzheimer's, and juvenile diabetes. Won't you rethink your position? All
that many of us want is hope - result-oriented, scientifically-backed hope -
found in this research.

I watched as you danced with your twin girls on their 21st birthday, and I
wondered if I will ever dance with my three grandchildren on their
birthdays. Please don't veto HR 810. I will probably not benefit from stem
cell research, but my grandchildren will - and maybe your grandchildren.

Peggy Willocks - TN PAN State Co-coordinator - Johnson City, TN

Peggy

Celebrate Life!