hi rebecca

janet giltrow's "Modern Conscience: Modalities of Obligation in Research Genres" in TEXT March 2005 looks at deontic expressions used by expert writers in three academic fields, and the differences in how they posit the need for future action in the fields themselves and in public systems.

all the best

shurli