Hi all,

I'd like to encourage Inkshedders to be involved in the upcoming
Association of Teachers of Technical Writing 2006 conference. It will
be held in conjunction with CCCC in Chicago.

Information for submitting a proposal can be found at the ATTW website
www.attw.org

I've pasted the cfp below. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Looking forward to seeing a strong contingent in again this year!

- brent
-------------------
Brenton Faber
ATTW Conference 2006 Program Chair
Associate Professor Communication & Media
Clarkson University
Potsdam NY 13699-5760
www.clarkson.edu/~faber

--------------------
Call for Papers

Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
9th Annual Conference

                             Proposals due:  October 28, 2005
                             Proposals accepted: September 12, 2005

Wednesday, March 22, 2005, 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
In conjunction with the 2005 CCCC Annual Convention (March 22-25)
Chicago, Illinois

Texts/Technology
ATTW invites proposals for papers, panels, and poster presentations
to be given at its annual conference immediately preceding the CCCC.
The full-day event includes concurrent sessions, poster
presentations, book exhibits, and opportunities for exchanging ideas,
working on projects, and networking in a supportive and challenging
academic environment.

Conference theme: Technology as Text
This year's conference will explore our field's unique relationships
with technology. We will explore and examine new research, teaching
methods, workplace practices, and administrative activities that
inform and teach us about new, current, and past  technologies. The
goal of these presentations will be to help us better understand and
practice technical communication and communication in scientific,
professional, and workplace contexts.

Inform, Teach, Critique
We challenge participants to create presentations that will inform
the field about new communication technologies and at the same time
interrogate these technologies for their social, ethical, technical,
practical, environmental, or material implications. Rather than look
to tutorials or demonstrations, we are seeking robust studies,
explorations, and research partnerships that engage subjects on
several levels and demonstrate new ways to study and report on the
technologies that we invent, use, and are subject to in workplace,
academic, and daily practices.

Potential Topics
Some particular areas of interest include (but aren’t limited to)
research that examines,

     * the implications, challenges, and rewards a specific
technology brings to communication practices,
     * connections between technological and theoretical knowledge
building,
     * relationships of our own technology learning to the practice
of scholarship: what does mastering a new technology or creating new
technology, constitute in terms of our scholarly, intellectual
enterprise?
     * presentations that teach and interrogate a specific technology,
     * the social values associated with specific communication
technologies including the economic value, ethical implications, and
value added of communication technologies,
     * pedagogies that enable students to engage, address, and use
communication technologies
     * research methods that the field can use to examine and
understand new, current, and past communication technologies.
     * investigations into the social contexts in which technologies
are implemented and used.

Proposals, limited to 200 words, are due October 28, 2004.  We offer
two general formats:

Regular Sessions: 15 minute talks within 45-minute panel
presentations. We will give presenters the opportunity to post copies
of their presentation or paper at the ATTW Conference site
approximately two weeks before the conference.

Poster Presentations:  We will include opportunities for posters
(3'x4') to be presented throughout the day with special times
dedicated for conversations and specific discussions regarding this
work.

Submit proposals for regular sessions via the ATTW website at http://
www.attw.org.  Connect to the site, register (or enter your
password), then follow the links for conference paper submissions.
All proposals will be peer reviewed. Proposals will be accepted after
September 12, 2005.

Workshop Sessions: We will make room for two 1 1/2-hour workshops as
an alternative to panels of speakers. Workshops might focus on
pedagogical issues, strategies for working with external partners,
consulting, or research issues. Please submit workshop proposals
directly to Brenton Faber at Clarkson University ([log in to unmask]).

Registration and updates will also be available on ATTW’s e-mail
discussion list (ATTW-L) and web site (www.attw.org). For additional
information, contact Brenton Faber at Clarkson University
([log in to unmask]) or Bill Karis at Clarkson University