From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:40 AM
Subject: Fw: A Letter to the Editor - Los Angeles Times

This came to me via a friend of the writer. Takes your breath away,
doesn't it....

K.

 Begin forwarded message:

 From: Alex Shapiro
 Date: September 2, 2005 11:28:50 AM PDT
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Subject: Re: Letters to the Editor - Los Angeles Times

 To the Editor:

  President Bush deserves to be impeached. On Sunday afternoon, many
hours before Katrina made landfall, I logged onto the weather.noaa.gov
website. Continuing to the advisory page for the New Orleans area, I
was shocked to read the most alarmist, nearly hysterical public
advisory issued from a U.S. government agency that I had ever seen. The
urgent weather message was time stamped 4:13 p.m. CDT, Sunday August
28, 2005 and it included the following sentences, directly quoted here:

  EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE
MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA
 DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED
 "MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER."
 "POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
 AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
 INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS."

 Notice the government's use of the word "will," not "may."
  The United States government knew exactly what was headed toward the
Gulf Coast, and consciously chose to do nothing. Armed as they were
with such information of a pending catastrophe of an enormous
proportion, they could have immediately begun to plan, organize and
mobilize a response intended to spring into action the moment the
hurricane passed. Instead, President Bush continued to relax at his
vacation ranch, visit sunny southern California to tout his Iraq
machismo, and look the other way as thousands of mostly impoverished
people perished. Our President and his administration are culpable, and
I believe that their lack of appropriate response to this crisis makes
them evil, as well.

 Alex Shapiro
 Malibu, California