David wrote:

.  I was 55 at the time of my
> diagnosis.  Things got so bad that finally I had to call Adult Protective
> Services.  APS insisted that I be allowed to hire an aide to come in and
> help me as needed.

Oh, David, what a horrible story!  Your post made me feel very sad for you
and very angry at your wife.

Not all families abandon their disabled loved ones.  Jamie has had PD since
he was 40.  Our children have always loved and respected their father - in
fact, they cannot recall a time when their father was well.  Their Dad's PD
is just part of their lives - something to be accepted.

Jamie and I have found accommodations to his disease at every turn.  Its
gradual progression has allowed us to gently slip into the next phase
without too much difficulty.  There are plenty of care givers on this list
who have done the same and continue to love and support their PWP.  It is
sad to see that not all spouses feel the same.
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 65/25 with PD)

P.S.  I'm very happy to read that you have found happiness with your
companion.  Good for you!!