KF,
The marriage contract no doubt evolved as a result of a long history of sad
human betrayals.  Unfortunately, it is not enforcable in Court.  Imagine a
Judge telling a spouse that she must love and cherish in sickness and in
health and give up her boyfriend.
The whole experience was so astounding to me that I wrote about it to
reflect on it later.  Fortunately, while there's life there's hope, and love
is "as perrenial as the grass", which is also astounding.  David