FYI, Here's the form letter Amgen sent in response to my complaint about
them pulling GDNF:

Thank you for your email with regard to the "60 Minutes" segment that
aired on Sept. 11 about Amgen's decision last year to stop providing
Glial Cell Line-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (GDNF) to the 48 Parkinson's
disease patients in clinical trials.
We regret that "60 Minutes" chose not to tell the whole story about our
decision to halt the trials on GDNF, an action that was endorsed by
dozens of independent, outside doctors and medical ethicists who
reviewed the data on the study. Our decision was based solely on our
concern for patient safety. We took this difficult action when we
discovered that the drug might cause permanent harm, complicating an
already horrible disease.
Prior to making this final decision, Amgen executives consulted
international experts in the neurology field and other physicians
working with Parkinson's, a number of representatives of the patient
advocacy community, and various bioethicists. We also spoke with study
investigators, patients and the FDA. Among the findings reviewed by the
group was data showing that the drug had significant potential safety
risks and that it was ineffective. Indeed, of the seven patients who
demonstrated improvement, four were receiving a placebo.
As a company dedicated to providing human therapeutics that benefit
people, it is our responsibility to ethically develop therapeutics that
"first, do no harm" to patients. Given the safety and efficacy
information we have about GDNF, we made a science based decision and
cannot ethically continue to administer it to patients.
We know that some of the study patients desperately wish to continue
this treatment and we share their disappointment. However, we cannot in
good conscience provide GDNF to these patients given the absence of
proven benefit and the potential safety risks, including irreversible
brain damage. Continuing to provide the drug could create false hope and
deter patients from pursuing potentially helpful therapies that are
already approved by the FDA and are now being used successfully by
thousands of patients suffering from Parkinson's disease.
We are very much committed to additional research that will help us
understand the potential of GDNF in the treatment of this terrible
disease. For instance, we have worked to make Amgen's GDNF and other
proprietary GDNF-related materials available to qualified pre-clinical
researchers; we have been pursuing publication of both the Phase 2 study
and toxicology data so that we may further our understanding; we are
committed to continuing to follow these study participants who have been
exposed to GDNF for long-term safety monitoring; we are working with
others to explore potential novel delivery methods for GDNF such as
viral vector technology and cell-based approaches. In addition, we are
continuing to research other potential new therapies for
neurodegenerative diseases including Parkinson's disease.
Our hearts truly go out to the brave trial patients and their families
who had such hope for this experimental drug at this time, but it is
clear that more pre-clinical work is now needed.