We have found that a homeopathic med OSCILLOCOCCINUM really helps the flu.  If it doesn't stop it in its tracks, it usually really shortens the severity and duration of it.  Another plus it that if you are feeling nauseous, when you dump the little tube of tasteless sugar-like crystals under your tongue it doesn't make you feel worse like other meds might.  It has gotten so mainstream that you can often find it in regular drugstores.  You dump one little tube every six hours.  They consider 3 tubes a treatment.  On rare occasions you may need more.   I never get flu shots.  I've heard people talking that had gotten them and got sick from it.  This takes care of me.  Paula