Dear List members,

I feel that Linda's message in regard to PD and politics is  so important
that it bears repeating and deserves our time to reflect upon  it and fully
comprehend its meaning.

Linda wrote that anyone who thinks that finding a cure for Parkinson's
doesn't involve politics is living with their head buried in the sand.  She
explains that it took three years of political activism to pass the Udall bill  and
that Parkinson's research would still be receiving the lowest  funding of all
chronic illnesses if people hadn't worked politically to turn  that around.

She points out that while billions of dollars are being spent on the war in
Iraq, the proposed budget for the NIH this year is a 1/2 percent  increase.
With the rate of inflation, this represents less dollars than we  had to work
with last year.

The current administration is ignoring the advice of scientific experts in
their fields in favor of the opinions of religious fundamentalists and neo
conservatives.  Medical advisory committees have been stacked with those  who
share the President's social and religious beliefs.  Scientific  associations
have termed George W. Bush as "The most anti-science President  in history."

As a person with Parkinson's disease, these are all very important issues  to
me.  These issues affect my life and my future. They  affect the lives and
futures of my children and grandchild.  I am  but one of many whose lives and
futures are affected by  the decisions our political leaders wish to make for us
(for  society) and I do not choose to sit back quietly and  politely when I
do not agree.  I think we all should have learned a  lesson on that when we
watched as levees broke, a city  flooded and thousands of lives were jeopardized
as a result of a failure of  leadership to initiate either a responsible plan
for  prevention or an organized plan for responsive emergency action.

Yes, I know, and I will agree with the principle that our leadership  is not
responsible for nor can they be expected to prevent or remand  every
disastrous act of nature and every affliction that can befall  us.  What I do not agree
with is our leaders being presented with  a reasonable opportunity to fund,
explore, research and hopefully  find cures for some of mankind's most
devastating diseases through  embryonic stem cell research and their choice not to do
so....I call that a  monstrous failure of leadership!

There are some who will find this message inappropriate to this forum  but in
spite of the risk of being offensive, I feel it imperative to  express to the
Parkinson's community my feelings about the importance of  PD's connection to
politics and the need to be vocal on this  issue.

Dee