Great survey. Thanks for all that work!

My mother was extremely intelligent, fit and active with NO signs of
Parkinsonism until age 75. She worked 35 hours per week in a busy,
upscale pharmacy and could do the entire NY Times crossword puzzle using
only the "across" clues.

She had a voluntary hip replacement at age 76 and had an EXTREMELY BAD
reaction to the anesthesia and post-op meds. For two days she was very
agitated and irrational with little knowledge of her surroundings. She
hallucinated, refused to eat and had to be sedated. She was never the
same. Her general health deteriorated, she could no longer run the cash
register or remember products and prices, could not complete puzzles.
Her IQ dropped so dramatically that she lost her job, and she was hardly
able to shop and cook.

A year later, she fell and broke her femur resulting in a 5.5 hour
surgery and 3 days of post-op hallucinations, and even worse agitation.
Heavy sedation resulted in dangerously low blood oxygen levels. She was
hospitalized for one week, then transferred to a nursing home for a
month where she lost 12 pounds because of heavy sedation for her rising
anxiety. She lost close to half of her remaining intellectual and memory
abilities.

Because she cannot live on her own, her identical twin sister takes care
of her. They have lived within one block of each other for 40+ years
eating approximately the same diet and walking 5 miles together each
morning. It is heartbreaking to see my aunt still whole and functioning
exceptionally well for a 79-year old while my mother declines rapidly
into frailty and senility. Her doctor calls her condition Parkinson's
and has her on Sinemet and Requip. They don't seem to help much at all
and we are sure her condition is generic drug- and low oxygen-induced
brain damage.

Her only other questionable exposure was to several rounds of backyard
insecticide spraying for fleas just before she fell down. Farmers are
43% more likely to get PD
(http://www.organicconsumers.org/OFGU/parkinsons060105.cfm) due to
pesticide exposure.

If I were running the survey, I'd ask how many times a person has been
"put under" and for how long. I'd ask if they'd ever experienced periods
of low blood oxygen levels due to severe sleep apnea, sedation, etc. I'd
also ask them about pesticide use and exposure (such as during the
controversial malathion sprayings in California). Even the casual
backyard gardener is statistically much more likely to get PD. I'm
betting many people's PD is the tragic result of a combination of low
blood oxygen during and after surgery plus a disastrously bad brain
tissue reaction to certain chemicals -- including anesthetics, sedatives
and pesticides -- and/or combinations thereof.

~ Greyling Gentry