Once upon a time, long, long, ago, when I was a young man and kisses were
sweeter than wine (cf., Peter Seegar), explicit structures (like "this
paper will discuss A, B, and C") belonged to the discourses of the
sciences, and the humanities insisted on implicit ways of partitioning
(like "X is true because A, B, and C.").  But 'taint true no more (even if
kisses still are sweeter than wine).

Still, situated rhetorical concepts like purpose (let alone
audience/readership or occasion) undermine capitalized stabilities like
"Good Writing,""General Ed Reader," and the Ten Commandments, not to
mention "Throughout history essays have always . . . ."  I mean, what if
someone were to imagine that in some peculiar instance there were two or
four important examples/reasons/points.

I remember the hourglass notion from Sheridan Baker's classic textbook,
where it was different matter than the 5-para essay.   It also led to
opening paragraphs that started with the universe and spent five sentences
narrowing to the topic.  ("Throughout history, Man has always . . . . The
invasion of Iraq . . . .)

Cheers,
Rick