The most current thinking about this issue I know of is in Roger
and Heather Graves' forthcoming book.

> Tania S. Smith does a good job at explaining some of
> the intricacies at work in "Recent Trends in Writing
> Instruction and Composition Studies in Canadian Universities"
>  http://www.stthomasu.ca/inkshed/cdncomp.htm (her works cited
> offers some rich sources as well)--still, that work is dated
> 1999. I'm not sure that anything more recent has been/is
> being done, but I would love to hear about it on the list, if
> you writers are out there.

Some of its contents are already available one way or another --
Tania Smith's work, for instance.  And my "afterword" about the
Canadian penchant for putting writing under the curriculum is
available in draft form on my Web site:

http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/pubs.htm

-- Russ
St. Thomas University