Hi, Michelle, Margie, and other writing-centre colleagues:

Not to be outdone by WPA-L, Inkshed has also hosted a discussion of
booking software, responding to a request from Jo-Anne Andre of Calgary
in November 2004. That was the same month that the Writing Lab
Newsletter ran articles lamenting the unreliability of the TutorTrac
software. I wrote from U of T--the summary is that we had our own
software designed. I have pasted in below my description from that
exchange, and will repeat my offer to give further contact information
if desired:

 > We're big enough at U of T to make our own mistakes and learn from
them. Several of the 17 or so writing centres here have developed
booking programs, most of them web-based so that students can make their
own appointments online and also cancel and re-book if necessary. They
include controls on who can book and how often. You can get a glimpse of
some of them by clicking on the "online" links for specific writing
centres from the page www.utoronto.ca/writing/centres.html. Engineering
was the first to produce its own system, created in large part by a
student as the project for her fourth-year thesis. The systems used at
Health Sciences and New College were commissioned from an outside
consultant; Woodsworth and Trinity systems were done in-house, but
benefitted from the early adopters. The system used by U of T at
Scarborough was designed locally and depends on a campus intranet. These
and our other systems have made scheduling and bookings (and
cancellations and re-bookings) much easier, but they haven't entirely
solved our challenges with record-keeping. For one thing, they don't
keep waiting lists: they let students check availability and re-book any
cancellations, but they don't give administrators a sense of how much
unfilled demand exists. Some allow instructors to keep records and notes
on individual students; others don't. If people want technical
information or the names of our main designers, please contact me
offline and I'll put you in touch. Regards, Margaret Procter University
of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support [log in to unmask];
www.utoronto.ca/writing/ 416 978-8109

Now it's a year later, so maybe we will hear more from Jo-Anne about the
Calgary decision. If somebody has found or designed a program that's
cheap, reliable, flexible, and capable of keeping records, please share
the news! (What is an online error sheet, apparently provided by
WCOnline--and do we want one?)

Margaret

--
Margaret Procter, Ph.D.
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

(416) 978-8109; FAX (416) 971-2027
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing